Saturday, July 12, 2008

to the BEACH!!

We woke up bright and early and checked the weather on my phone. It said it was going to be 85 degrees and "abundant sunshine" in Virginia Beach. We packed a cooler, grabbed our suits, loaded in the van - including Trevor - and headed to the beach!!
The waves were INTENSE!! I don't believe I have ever been so abused by waves in my life. In the few minutes that I spent in the water just trying to rinse off the sand, I was flipped, tossed, turned, lost my sunglasses and thrown backwards like an episode of Charmed! Leigh Anne and the kids faired a little better until they tried to tackle a big wave and they were also flipped and thrown. It was a little scary! I've never really understood the term undertow until today.
Of course, it didn't deter the kids from playing. Despite the fact that Joshua was almost swallowed by a big wave, he had a great time running in and out of the ocean. He is such an enjoyable young man. I can't believe it has been four years since they left Leavenworth, KS. The kids have changed so much! I had so much fun with them. I wish they didn't live so far away but I'm going to have to make a point of getting out to Richmond more often. Kids just don't stay kids for very long and since I will probably be dependent upon them when I get old and can't care for myself, I need to make sure they love me now. :)
Caroline has grown up so much and she's an adorable young lady. She took on those waves like she could conquer the world! I was impressed. Nothing was going to keep them from enjoying their day at the beach. They were exhausted by the time we left but we had so much fun! I may not have been blessed with children of my own but I'm certainly glad that I get to be part of the lives of my friend's kids. They are awesome!
We met our good friend, Lane, and her family at a restaurant called "Bubba's" for seafood. It was quite tasty! However, soon it was time to head home. We picked up Trevor and headed back to Richmond. It was an exhausting but enjoyable day!

No comments: