Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious day!

I absolutely LOVE our B&B!! It's on 93rd street between 5th Ave & Madison which is a perfect location. Our NYC tour bus has a pick-up stop just around the corner and we are just a block from Central Park. Diana and I walked around the neighborhood this morning - picking up coffee & a scone from Yura's deli. Then we walked down 5th Ave to the Metropolitan Museum of Art where we caught our tour bus over to the Plaza hotel.
We couldn't be that close to the Plaza and not go inside so we went exploring. I stopped to ask about their "high tea" but it was either $60 or $100 depending upon the menu you selected so we decided to pass. We used their bathroom instead! It was certainly a beautiful place!! We took pictures across the street at the "Friends" fountain (pictured in the opening of the TV show, Friends) and the Paris movie theatre which was featured in Sex and the City. We walked down Fifth Ave and stopped at Fifth Avenue Presbyterian Church. It is gorgeous!! Nothing was going on in the church so we were able to go in and look around. Wow!! They are getting ready for their 200th year celebration. Amazing!

We walked over to Times Square and got in the TKTS line for a matinee. We ended up buying tickets for "I love you, You're perfect, Now change." It was really cute but not what I expected. It didn't seem any more elaborate than shows I see in Kansas City - in fact, it looked like something you would see at the New Theatre. I enjoyed it immensely but it doesn't take much to please me - I love the theatre! We were planning to catch the last bus for the uptown tour before our tickets expired but after waiting 45 minutes, a bus came by that said "out of service" but I jumped in front of it (ok, not really) and asked why they weren't coming. It was 5:15 and they said the last bus left the first stop at 5pm. In my mind, that means several buses should still be coming past stop 24 but apparently that's not the case. I DO NOT recommend NYC Sightseeing (Gray Line). Every time we were waiting for a bus, we saw several City Sights NY buses pass by. They must have a much larger fleet! We did enjoy our Water Taxi tour but next time, I'm going with City Sights!

We were just wandering down the street and happened to pass the theatre where Mary Poppins was playing so we stopped in to see what tickets they still had available. They happened to have three seats on the very end of the Mezzanine for 50% off because they had a partially obstructed view. I was so thrilled to get to see it again (I saw it in London in 2006) and the other two have never seen it. We had a little time to kill before the show so Diana and I walked over to Macy's for a little shopping. She found this fabulous jacket but it was a little too expensive. :)

We met Miriam at the Amsterdam theatre and went in for the show. It was just as stupendous as it was in London. I had goosebumps AND tears - what could be better than that? I'm so glad our last show was a big Broadway musical!
When we came out of the show it was pouring down rain but we decided to walk over to Rockefeller Center and go to the top of the Rock. Unfortunately, even though they say it's open until midnight, they don't let anyone go up after 11:15 and we arrived at 11:22. Sadness!! Oh well - something to look forward to next time.

1 comment:

Jo Hilton said...

What a ROCKIN' Supercalifragilistic DAY!!! Sounds wonderful... and thanks for the tip on the sightseeing bus! So glad you like your B&B.... looking forward to reading more! :) have fun!