Saturday, July 26, 2008

Mountains of New Hampshire

I woke up early despite a VERY late night which seems to be happening a lot! I am sure I am just excited to be going to New Hampshire and spending the week with my Red Cross buddies. It took us a little while to load up all the stuff we needed to take with us but we managed to get on the road by 11. We filled up the cars - the gas stations in this part of the country charge a higher price if you use a credit card which just drives me crazy – and were on our way.
We stopped in Tilton, NH for lunch at the Tilt’n Diner. We had a fun waitress, Charlie, who figured out quickly how to deal with Ken. Our next stop was the state liquor store (it’s a New Hampshire thing) for some provisions. I found a bright orange bottle of red wine (it’s good for the heart ;)) so I had to get it. We’ll see if it makes it home in one piece.
The drive through Mount Washington was beautiful. We stopped at a scenic overlook and took our picture but it’s hard to capture the beauty of the mountains! The road was following the river and every once in a while you would see a place where cars were parked and people were playing in the river. We are definitely going to do that this week! As we were driving, Susan said the river looked chock-a-block full. I’m learning so many new words. :) We made it to the condo at 5:03 and discovered that the frozen lemonade shop below our condo closed at 5. Susan was looking forward to some “wicked puckery” (that’s my favorite new phrase) lemonade but it will have to wait until Monday. We got all our stuff unloaded and unpacked and checked out the wireless internet in the main lobby as well as the pool, exercise equipment (very limited) and the indoor & outdoor hottubs. This very cute penguin was in the lobby so, of course, I had to take my picture with him. We went to Shaw’s grocery store for our edible provisions for the week and then came home and made supper. Ken grilled up some bison hotdogs, chicken and salmon and Susan made a big salad. It was perfect! We sat around and talked until the wee hours of the morning.

No comments: