Thursday, July 17, 2008

Bison & Caves and flying (or not!)

This morning I got to go with the 5th & 6th grade group to Penn's Cave. Outside the cave they have a whole herd of Bison. They even had little baby bison. They were so cute. I didn't tell them I had eaten their relatives this past weekend.

Penn's Cave House was built in 1885 and used as a 30 room hotel until 1919. The most famous person that stayed there was Alexander Graham Bell. Today the first two floors are used for offices, meetings and special events.
The cave is AWESOME!! You ride through the cave in a long and narrow boat in order to maneuver through some of the tighter places. It's not exactly spelunking but you do get to see lots of great formations. We all had a fabulous time! We had a picnic lunch in the shelter before heading back to the camp. I spent the afternoon on the computer working on pictures and catching up on my blog. When dinner came I went in to ask Nate if he still had the chicken from last night but he had already used it in something else so he cooked me up a chicken breast with red peppers and then squeezed an orange over it and served it on rice with orange slices as a garnish. I tell you - I have never been treated so well! I feel like royalty!

After dinner Steve took the volunteers up to the climbing wall and gave anyone that wanted to a chance to do the 300 foot zip line. I managed to climb to the top of the 65 foot tower but I couldn't bring myself to get out on the platform. Climbing up the tiny spiral metal staircase was scary enough for me - and we were safety harnassed in to that! I'm glad I went to the top but I wish I had had the courage to make the drop. Maybe next time.

No comments: