Monday, August 18, 2008

Redhook Brewery & Chateau Ste Michelle

It was a rainy day but we didn't care - we were going to visit one of my favorite places and no rain was going to put a damper on that! Our first stop was the Redhook Brewery for lunch. It was delicious!

Dad ordered the stout which is their dark beer and he said it was better than Guinness! I decided to try them all so I got the sampler. I don't really even like beer but it seemed silly to be a brewery and not give it a try. There were three or four that I didn't think were disgusting.

We ended up buying a couple of cases (because it was Monday and they were on sale) so we sent mom to get the car while we waited with the beer. We were laughing hysterically when she came back a few minutes later because dad had given her the wrong keys. I think she found our laughing so humorous that instead of being angry, she decided to take our picture!
Our next stop was Chateau Ste Michelle - the winery just across the street. I do love a good Riesling and I know I have ordered their Riesling in restaurants so I was looking forward to the tour. The grounds were absolutely gorgeous - I almost ran over a peacock walking down the sidewalk!

We took the complimentary tour which was very interesting. It's amazing how those assembly lines can pump out the product without a mistake. They can bottle 4000-6000 bottles of wine a day! It was fun to watch the bottles being filled and then moved to another station where they are corked, then lined up and pushed up a belt where they are boxed - 12 at a time! The humans are only there to make sure nothing goes wrong. The best part of the tour was the wine tasting at the end. We got to taste their Chardonnay, Merlot and Muscat Canelli. I don't think I have ever had Muscat Canelli but it was delicious (very sweet!) Dad preferred the Merlot but it's just too dry for me.

In fact, Dad liked it so much he couldn't stand to see people dumping their glasses into this ceramic cannister. He had me rolling on the floor when he said he was going to drink straight out of the cannister. He was kidding, of course, but the visual image of that made me laugh so hard I almost choked on my wine. It was quite an enjoyable day. The only disappointment was not getting to taste their Riesling - so I had to buy a bottle instead. :)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Are you still in Washington, or on your way down the coast? I didn't know about any wineries in Washington but I do know they used to brew Oly Beer there.

Peace.... Craig H.

Anonymous said...

Just 1 bottle? I went there and came home with a whole case!