Thursday, August 21, 2008

Port Townsend and Trolls

It was a little cloudy so we decided to spend our day in Port Townsend. Carl & Sue loaded up the truck with styrofoam that they had collected and we dropped it off at Fort Worden where they take it down to Portland for recycling. Fort Worden is a 19th century military base that is now part of the Washington State Parks and Recreation. It was a neat place!!

Of course, the best part was getting to see my friend, Steve, who is the manager of conference center operations for Fort Worden. Steve and I worked together years ago on an annual continuing education (known as "Con Ed") for Presbyterian youth workers but our paths don't cross as much since that event ended. It was great to see him again and to know that he is still involved in youth ministry for the presbyterian church in Port Townsend.
We stopped for lunch at the Public House in Port Townsend. They make a mean fish & chips! I think I will have had my fill of fish by the time I get back to the midwest but I figured I should take advantage of the opportunity for quality fish while I'm on the coasts.

After walking through town and doing a little bit of shopping, we stopped at Elevated Ice Cream Shop for an afternoon treat before heading back to Sequim. I had an old-fashioned ice cream sode just like I used to have when I would go visit my grandparents in southwest Missouri. yum!

On the way home, we passed "Troll Haven" which was a clump of homes that are surrounded by various troll statues and carvings. It was awesome!! It is an entirely private property and I would love to meet the people that created and live in such a fun place. You can see more pics and learn more at www.trollhaven.org.

The coolest house is for sale - which I thought would make a perfect location for my bed & breakfast but apparently that is what it was and it didn't make it. It was too far off the beaten path. I guess I'll keep looking but what a cool place it would have been to live and work!

We had some projects to do once we got home. Dad entertained us with his fiddle practice - and apparently entertained the deer, as well. Carl & Sue have a field behind their house and there were constantly deer grazing - they even come into the yard and eat the apples off the tree. It was so cool!
Mom worked on getting the buds off a huge supply of heather that Sue had harvested for her. She's going to make sachets and then fill them with heather which she can use for various things.

I helped Sue pick the ripe apples off the top of the tree. There weren't as many as she thought so it didn't take us very long but it was quite fun. I learned about "apple tipping" which is really not at all similar to cow-tipping. If you tip an apple up and it releases from the branch without effort, then it is ripe. If it doesn't, then let it hang. Who knew??

No comments: