Friday, August 08, 2008

Land of the Yoopers!

I learned a new term today. Yoopers is what they call people that live in the upper peninsula of Michigan - the U.P. - hence, Yoopers! I thought that was pretty cool! However, they call the people who live on the southern side, Trolls. That I don't really get. Yoopers makes sense - but Trolls just seems mean.

It was another beautiful day! I have really lucked out on the weather on this journey. I drove north from Paradise to Whitefish Point - home of the Great Lakes Shipwreck Museum. I had planned to spend a night in their coast guard quarters that they rent out but I was afraid to commit to a specific date so I didn't make a reservation. I was okay with it, though, because I saved a ton of money staying in Paradise.
I spent way more time there than I had intended because it was just too close to the water! I had a wonderful time playing in Lake Superior and walking in the sand. I've discovered that I like the Great Lakes even better than the ocean. First of all, they don't beat you up when the waves come in and they aren't filled with poison (a.k.a. SALT!) They are definitely one of the best things about this beautiful country!
I had a really good time walking on the beach looking for cool rocks. I was trying to find a perfectly round orange one but that proved to be a little too difficult. I collected a few really cool ones that I'm going to give to friends. Who wouldn't want a rock from the Great Lakes? :) The best gifts in life are free, right?
After my beach time, I got back on the road and passed a sign for a cranberry farm. I've never seen a cranberry farm so I decided I needed to stop. I had a good visit with the owner and picked up a few items made from cranberries - salsa, bbq sauce, vinaigrette and decaf coffee. It should be fun to try them!

I couldn't leave the U.P. without going by Tahquamenon (rhymes with phenomenon) Falls. Several people had recommended a visit and since you never know when you'll get back to a place, you might as well take advantage of it when you have the opportunity. I stopped at the lower falls first and it was a beautiful hike to the falls. Again, the weather was perfect and it was great to be enjoying God's creation. The upper falls were gorgeous, as well, and there was a wedding happening on the deck overlooking the falls. What an incredible place to be married!

Just a few miles down the road from the falls, I passed a sign that said "sour dough bread" so I whipped my car into the drive way to pick up a loaf for my friends I'd be staying with. The couple had an old brick stove in a building next to their house and we had a good visit. He even showed me the bread that was baking and he had several trays of bread still rising. I picked up a loaf of Apricot date sour dough and a loaf of apple cinnamon whole wheat. I don't know how they make a living selling bread to people passing on the street but they certainly do a great job!
I met a lady at the Iroquis Point Light house who said they had a beautiful light house in Marquette, MI and since I was driving right through it, I decided to check it out. There was a 3/4 mile breaking wall that I walked along to get to the rocks that led to the light house. It was a great walk with crystal clear water on either side of me and tons of sailboats floating around. You could see the bottom of the lake like it was glass. I think Marquette may be Michigan's best kept secret!
I had so much fun playing that it was way later than I had intended when I finally got serious about getting to Wisconsin. Did you know there is a Christmas, Michigan? They have a Santa's workshop with a giant Santa right on the highway!
At one point I was first in line at a construction site where we had to wait for traffic to end coming the other way because only one lane was open and I could see the girl directing the traffic mouthing the letters to my license plate into her walkie-talkie. :) I scooted up just enough so she could hear me and I told her what it meant. She was very grateful! I asked her about the rock structures built all along the highway and she said they were made by the natives but didn't know what they meant. I'll have to keep researching!
I lengthened my trip even further by missing my turn and went 45 minutes out of my way. I had to apologize to Jill several times because she tried to tell me but I thought I knew better than she did and I ignored her. Obviously, the computer wins over the human brain - at least MY human brain! After getting back on track, I vowed never to ignore Jill again and she got me right to my friend's door. Considering we were driving through the country roads of the north woods, I thought that was a major accomplishment. I don't think I would have made it without her - especially since my cell service was sporadic at best.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Weren't you there when Don Buzzee was telling us all about the name "Yoopers"? Guess that must have been the day that Alisa and I got trapped there together...