Friday, August 22, 2008

Marymere Falls and Deer Park

Carl took us on a hike to Marymere Falls. We met a very nice couple from Pennsylvania who joined us for the hike. It was a beautiful hike and the weather was great! We saw deer along the path as well as conks on the trees. The moss was as soft as a featherbed and was growing on everything. It was awesome!

We thoroughly enjoyed ourselves along the way. I managed to take a little siesta on one of the man-made bridges along the path. It wasn't the most comfortable place to stretch out but I made do with what was available.

I also discovered a great place to spend the night if we got lost in the woods. It was completely protected from the elements with a nice soft ground for sleeping. :)

The falls were gorgeous. They certainly didn't come close to some of the falls I've seen on this trip (Niagara) but they were beautiful in their own way!

Mom and dad are amazing hikers - it's so hard to believe they are 70 years old (or almost)! They are as active now as they have ever been - possibly even more so.

After our hike, we stopped in Port Angeles for lunch at Shirley's Cafe. She makes a mean burger! Then we headed over to Deer Park for another adventure.

I got a little nervous when I saw the metal storage cabinets for food to keep it away from the bears so I decided I should protect myself from the bears. I didn't want to get eaten!

There is a campground almost to the top of Deer Park which looks like it would be a fabulous place to camp! There are plenty of places to explore and climb and get AMAZING views!

At the very top of the mountain, you could see all over the state of Washington. At one point, the clouds dissipated and we could see the "spit" right across from Carl & Sue's house. Carl could even pick out his house - but that takes a very trained eye! Dad was trying to take my picture and he kept telling me to scoot back just a little, a little more, a little more...

OOPS - too far!! AGH! Help!! Not to worry - I managed to pull myself back up by my fingernails. Whew - that was close! ;)
We came back to the house and I spent most of the evening hanging out in the yard enjoying the deer. They are such beautiful creatures!

1 comment:

Jo Hilton said...

Gorgeous photos! of the scenery and the people! how fun!