Saturday, August 09, 2008

Diamond lake is a girl's best friend!

It's always good to return to a place that is as familiar as home. I have been on the road for 51 days and I don't really miss being home - but it was an incredibly comforting feeling to pull into the driveway of "fayaway." My mom's best friend from Marshall, Nancy, has had this cabin in her family since 1947 and we started coming up to visit in the summer when I was growing up. I have pictures of my sister skinny dipping in Diamond Lake which I am saving for an appropriate time! The cabin is just as cozy and beautiful as it always has been - and I'm so thankful for friends who are so generous with their home away from home.

I spent a good part of today sitting right there on the dock soaking up as much sun as I could. It was a rather chilly day (upper 60's) so I didn't swim but I did enjoy the sunshine - when the breeze wasn't giving me goosebumps! It was fabulous! Virgil grilled us up a luscious pork loin for supper and we dined looking out over the lake. What a peaceful and glorious place!

After dinner we trekked down the dirt road to their friend's house for dessert. Sue made a yummy shaum torte which I was unfamiliar with but gobbled it right up! Another set of neighbors joined us, as well.

It was a fun evening swapping stories and getting to know Nancy & Virgil's friends. They are wonderful people!

By about 8:30, we decided we needed to get back down the road before the bears came out. I was okay with that! Though I would love to see a bear, coming across one while walking down the street would not be my first choice! It was a crisp chilly evening and I slept like a baby with the cool air coming off the lake. Now THIS is paradise!

No comments: