Saturday, August 02, 2008

Goodbye NH, Hello Vermont

I said goodbye to Ken, Susan and Rich and headed for Vermont. It was so sad to leave! I was overcome with sadness and cried so hard that I had to pull off the road. I thought the rain was appropriate. I'm not sure if I was sad to leave my friends or sad to be alone again. It's much harder to enjoy being alone after spending a week with people you love so very much!
Jill (my GPS system, Jill Garmin) made her first major blunder when she directed me to take a gravel road overgrown with grass and a bridge closed. I decided she wasn't completely reliable so I turned around and listened to her recalculate a few times and then try to take me through someone's house. I think the roads in Vermont caused her much stress! Thankfully, there was an "angel" getting something out of her trunk on one of the gravel roads and she directed me to the church for Jack & Emma Cabaness's wedding - or celebration of their life together because they were officially married in February at her parent's home.

The celebration was beautiful. They were surrounded by family and friends and the service was fabulous! They held their reception at the Craftsbury Outdoor Center where I was staying. They had a big tent set up with a dance floor and a band called the Radio Rangers. They were great! I'm not sure there is anything more lonely than going to a wedding by yourself but I was very grateful to Jack (the groom) for looking out for me despite all that he had going on. He's such a great friend!

He introduced me to the Stoners who invited me to sit with them. They are very involved in the Presbyterian Church and I really enjoyed visiting with them. They are such sweet people!
We also enjoyed dinner with the Weaver's. John Weaver is a name you will see often throughout our Presbyterian hymnal. He served on the staff of Madison Ave Presbyterian Church in New York City for 35 years and is an accomplished organist. His wife is an accomplished flutist. They both played in church on Sunday morning and it was wonderful. They had just returned from their son's funeral in Leavenworth, KS - he was killed by an 18-wheeler driving home from Vermont. Please keep them in your prayers!
I enjoyed the evening - even danced a little thanks to Jack - and then went back to my room. I tried to work on my blog but their satellite internet was very poor due to the rain so it was a hopeless endeavor. I had no cell service and no internet and completely alone - so I decided to get some sleep before I did something stupid like load my car and run home to Kansas City!

1 comment:

Jo Hilton said...

sounds like an emotional rollercoaster for you... at least on this day! But your later entries seemed to find you in better spirits! You're never alone... remember that! But I am sorry that you were caught feeling so alone! We love you and are keeping you in our prayers, too!