Wednesday, June 25, 2008

From NOLA to Apalachicola










I was a total gypsy today!! I left New Orleans with no particular plan and no place to stay so I just went wherever the spirit led me. :) I took the interstate over to Pensecola where I spent a couple of hours at the local Panera catching up on my blog. Then I decided to drive the Florida coast so I jumped (well, drove) down to Highway 98 and headed east. It was a beautiful drive!! I saw this bridge that looked intriguing so I took it over to Navarre Beach. It was a little island off the coast and it was beautiful!!
The water was as clear as could be and the sand was beautifully white and clean. I walked along the beach for a while and just enjoyed the sun, sand and surf. I debated just staying there but I decided I need to get a few more miles under my belt before I stopped for the day.
I ended up in Apalachicola (pronounced just like it looks) which is a hidden gem on the coast of Florida. I found an adorable B&B right on highway 98 that is wonderful!! I arrived after the restaurants had closed so the manager gave me a yogurt and some fresh strawberries for my dinner. She is so sweet! I moved into my room (a room with twin beds on the 3rd floor - it's one of those big old houses with a wrap around porch on the 2nd floor!) and decided to take a bath. In the middle of my bath (& talking to my mom) they pounded on my door to say the water was leaking to the floor below. AGH!

I quickly dressed and drained the tub and they moved me to a queen bed room on the 2nd floor with a door out to the front porch. I feel like royalty! I wish I could stay longer but tomorrow I must move on to my head...I mean Hilton Head. :)

No comments: