Friday, May 07, 2010

A scone with clotted cream and jam

I was on a mission today! I remembered my family enjoying tea & scones in a little cafe inside a department store in 2006 and I was determined to find it. I thought it was near Kensington but after walking miles and miles and miles, I discovered that it was Victoria Street. I took the tube to the South Kensington tube station and walked along Kensington Street - past Harrods and Harvey Nichols. I knew when I reached Hyde Park Corner that I had made a mistake. I walked down Grosvenor to Victoria Station and headed towards Westminster Abbey. Just as things started to look familiar, my friend Becky called and we decided to meet for tea as soon as I found my destination. It didn't take long to locate the House of Fraser. Cafe Zest is on the 2nd floor (which I would call the 3rd floor but they don't count the ground level as a floor in London.)

I ordered my tea and scones and hooked up my laptop to play until Becky arrived. After our late-morning tea, we walked back to Kensington, through Belgravia. It's a neat area of London. They say London has more green space than any city in the world - and I believe it. We passed several little parks or "squares" with walking paths for people to enjoy. Some are private and some are public.

We stopped for a late lunch at the Goat Pub just down the street from the Whole Foods Market. Becky was on a mission to find a similar sausage to American sausage which Shaunda said she would use to make biscuits and gravy. I had no idea how difficult it would be to explain biscuits and gravy to a Londoner. For them, biscuits are cookies. They don't have a clue what a biscuit is. I suppose a scone would be the closest thing but they are much sweeter. Thankfully, the guy that waited on us was from Texas and he was very helpful. We picked up three different kinds for Shaunda to try. I had to stop at the Boots to buy moleskin for my boots. How ironic! Becky needed to get some work done so I caught the tube from there and headed home. It was the most packed tube that I have ever ridden on and I was so relieved when we finally got far enough out that I wasn't touching people. Rush hour on the tube is definitely something to avoid!

1 comment:

iactforlove said...

oh my gosh. i know this is from last month, but now i'm super hungry. scoooooooooooooones...