Monday, May 03, 2010

Inchcolm Island

We headed to Queensferry to catch the Maid of the Forth over to Inchcolm Island. The island is on the Firth of Forth off the coast of Fife. It was a chilly but beautiful day. The temperature was in the low 50's but on the boat, it felt like the 20's. We took Anna and Asher with us and they were quite the little hikers. We hiked to the top of the island and enjoyed the amazing view! You can see Edinburgh Castle across the forth. The seagulls were insane!! I felt like I was in a scene from Alfred Hitchcock's "The Birds." They were EVERYWHERE! We even passed a couple of nests with two eggs each. There is an old abbey on the island which we had fun exploring. A couple lives on the island as caretakers for the abbey and the grounds.

On the way home we stopped by McDonalds to pick up a hot cup of coffee to warm our chilly bones and then headed to the Abercorn Church. Part of the building was built in the 1100's! It was very cool! The church is open 24 hours a day for anyone that needs a place to come in.

We stopped by the fish & chips stand to try one more fried candy bar - just to make sure they were as yummy as I thought they were. I went with the fried Cadbury Caramel and ate it in the car on the way home. I seriously think it might be the best thing I ever put in my mouth. Yum! We came home and ate our leftovers for supper. We managed to get caught up in an HBO series called "Trueblood." Each episode ended with such a cliff hanger that we just kept watching - until...

1 comment:

Hiltonadventures.com said...

I haven't done this - I must put it on my bucket list...one more trip to Scotland, when Julia has a manse for us to bunk in!