Sunday, May 09, 2010

Mother's day and my belated birthday

We're having a party!! Though it had been postponed a couple of times - thanks to the volcano - the time had finally come to celebrate my birthday! It happened to fall on the American Mother's Day which was also an appropriate time to celebrate (for Shaunda!). We spent the morning cleaning the house and preparing the food. Shaunda had quite the spread layed out by the time people arrived.
Our first guests were Lucy and Julian and their three children - Mia, Cameron and Freddie. I don't think I have ever been quite so smitten by three children in my entire life! Freddie (age 4) has eyes and a smile that can melt your heart. Cameron (age 6) is a little on the shy side but a very polite and helpful young man. Mia (age 10) was quick to jump in to the activity and she and Zane immediately hit it off. She was an intelligent young lady and a great conversationalist.
The kids played Rock Band while the adults visited. It was great to see Lucy again! Shaunda and I first met Lucy when we were students in London in 1988. Lucy lived in our "dorm/hostel" and was always the life of the party! She came to Kansas City a few years later and we took her to Chicago and stayed with my sister. What fun to see her again - and meet her family!

The day ended with a beautiful sunset which I tried to capture from my bedroom window. It was the perfect day for a birthday - even if it was postponed!

No comments: