Saturday, May 01, 2010

Heading to Hogwarts...uh...Edinburgh

I woke up early to make sure I had plenty of time to catch my train at Platform nine and three quarters! Ok - it was really platform 2 but I couldn't make my way through King's Cross Station without a stop at Platform 9 3/4! The journey to Edinburgh took about 4.5 hours and was quite enjoyable. They offer sporadic wireless internet on all East Coast trains which kept me entertained for most of the trip. Visiting with the guy next to me took care of the rest of the time. He was a black cab driver in London heading to northern England to visit his girlfriend and 2 year old daughter. Julia met me at the station and we caught the #36 bus back to her flat. She lives in Leith which used to be a suburb but is now part of Edinburgh proper. It is where the original docks are located. We enjoyed a late lunch at the Guilty Lily where I had some scrumptious nachos and learned that a small is called "wee" and a large is a "muckle." We took a long walk with her two adorable long-haired miniature dachsunds down the Water of Leith Walkway. It was chilly but a fabulous day for a walk. We had to make a run to Tesco to pick up some groceries and supplies for her children's sermon in the morning and then back to the flat to enjoy the evening watching tv and playing on the computer.

No comments: