Sunday, April 25, 2010

London bound...finally!

Hard to believe the day had actually arrived and our flight was still on schedule! Lesa fixed my hair for me so I wouldn't have to worry about it for a few days and then we picked up Rayne (the German Shepherd) and Shelby (the cat) and headed to the airport. Checking them in at cargo was actually easier than I expected. Once the animals were good to go, Lesa slowed down in front of ticketing and pushed me out of the car! My bag weighed 51 pounds so I threw one of the bags of chocolate chips into my carry-on and all was well with the world. The flight to Minneapolis was uneventful and I had allowed several hours to take care of the pet duty once I got there. I grabbed a cab outside the airport to go to Delta cargo. He dropped me off at what looked like the right door but I soon discovered it was locked - and the cab was gone. I felt like I was in the lot of a deserted warehouse. Mmmm...I finally managed to find someone that would come to a door and he said he would call the cargo door so head back that way. This time they opened up. Apparently, they aren't supposed to be open on Sundays but whoever rebooked my ticket screwed up. I was so grateful they were there! I gave Rayne a good walk in the parking lot but couldn't figure out how to walk a cat so she just stayed in her kennel. Unfortunately, Rayne's kennel was too small for international travel but fortunately, they had a used XL kennel that he was willing to trade out. Yay! The staff on this end were also extra helpful - which was exactly what I needed after the last 48 hours. I'm sure if I had had too much difficulty, I would have had a complete breakdown and they would have called my brother-in-law for a mental health evaluation! Once they were all checked in, I caught the shuttle back to the airport and waited for my flight. At first it was delayed two hours but then they changed it to one hour. I'm glad I never left the gate! Once I was finally settled in for the 8 hour flight to London, I finally began to believe that it was actually going to happen. London....Here I Come!

No comments: