Friday, April 24, 2009

Orange you glad it's (almost) your birthday?

My mom is amazing!! She put together one of the neatest birthdays I could have imagined! When I graduated from college, I moved to KC and found a very cool apartment on the plaza - even before I found a job! I lived there for three years - first in a studio apartment with a murphy bed (very cool!) and then in the penthouse apartment (in my eyes!) with a balcony. It was paradise! In 2004, the Park Lane Apartments were added to the National Register for Historic Places, spared from destruction and sold to the Winston Hotel Group.

In 2006, it opened as the Courtyard Marriott. I always thought it would be fun to go back and spend the night in "my apartment" so for my birthday, mom booked the J.C. Nichols Suite - room 616 - just for me!

It was a bit of a shock when we first walked in the door to discover there was now a wall dividing the apartment into two rooms and room 615 was also part of the original apartment. We were tempted to ask the guests next door if they would let us take a peek - but we didn't. Obviously, nothing inside the room was the same - the dining room is now the bedroom, the kitchen is now the bathroom, the balcony is no longer accessible and the windows are completely sealed shut - but the view is the same!

Mom also invited some of my wonderful friends - many that were a part of my life then - to stop by and relive the good 'ol days. We had pictures of the apartment when I lived there which seemed to stir up so many stories. It was fun to remember the good times that were shared there - and we certainly laughed!
Everyone brought me something orange to celebrate my 42nd birthday - everything from dish soap to a chinese lantern. It was awesome!! I had so much fun unpacking when I got home and enjoying the various orange items that will now decorate my home. Orange is a color that brings me joy - along with very special friends and a family that showers me with abundant love! I am so very blessed.

1 comment:

Jo Hilton said...

You are blessed... and very loved!