Wednesday, May 06, 2009

Pella Tulip Festival

I love tulips!! They have always been my all time favorite flower so when my friends invited me to come visit them in Pella, Iowa for the annual Tulip Festival, I jumped at the chance! On Wednesday, I left work a little early and headed to Pella. Kate had signed us up for the Klompen Classic walk which kicks off the weekend festivities. I'm not sure how it happened but we managed to bring up the tail end of the walk - I'm sure it was because we were stopping to take so many pictures of tulips, right? :) Little old ladies with walkers came in before we did. Oh well!

Every afternoon before the parade and every evening, they invite anyone in the community to come out in authentic dutch costume for "street scrubbing." Unfortunately, I had to leave early for a funeral so I wasn't able to participate in the actual scrubbing but Kate and I had fun dressing up in our costumes anyway. I'm not really sure how anyone walks very far in those wooden shoes but I was certainly willing to give it a try. I hope I can make it back next year so I can participate in more Tulip Time activites - and eat those yummy dutch letters!

No comments: