Thursday, July 09, 2009

BBBS Bowl-a-thon

Last spring I was accepted to serve as a big sister in the Big Brothers Big Sisters program in Kansas City. One of the expectations of the "Bigs" is to form a team of six people to participate in their annual Bowl-a-thon.
I had no idea if anyone would be willing to do this but I figured it never hurts to ask - and the free beer and pizza certainly might help! Sure enough - I had five wonderful people who volunteered to bowl with me - and raise money! Andrea, Melissa, Paula, Joy and Brian made up a fabulous team! We not only had a great evening but we raised over $700 for BBBS thanks to our generous friends and family.

The icing on the cake came when I managed to bowl a strike my first five times up to bowl. I have only once in my life bowled a turkey and I can't remember EVER getting five strikes in a row. It was pretty darn close to a miracle! It really was a wonderful evening and it's really good to have friends who don't care how silly they look if they know it's for a good cause - or at least for free beer!

No comments: