Wednesday, March 18, 2009

God moment

This blog is mainly for my own memory because it is what I consider a "God-moment" that I wish to remember.

In 1986 my friend, Lynate, invited me to come visit her while she was working at the Presbyterian camp where we met when we were younger. I wasn't doing much for the summer because I had to have some procedures done on my eye so I was very glad for a chance to get away for a little bit. I ended up staying to volunteer for a week and it was one of the most life-changing weeks of my life. I had four campers that I will never forget. Casey, Heather, Johnna and Elizabeth. It was thanks to that amazing week that I am where I am today. I spent the next four summers on the staff at the camp and I loved it! The camp was my connection to Pine Ridge which is where I first felt called to full time youth ministry and it is where I serve now as Director of Christian Education. I can't imagine where I would be or what I would be doing if it weren't for that week and those amazing girls. I think about those girls often and how much they meant to me.

A few months ago, I was checking Craigslist for any potential roommates and I noticed a post from a lady who was looking for a temporary place to stay while her daughter had brain surgery at KU Med Center. I wasn't that close to KU Med but I didn't know where she was coming from so I sent her an email inviting her to stay at my house if it would be helpful to her. I quickly received a response that was very appreciative but she was looking for something within walking distance. A few days later, I received another email just giving me an update on her daughter and telling me again how much she appreciated the offer and that I was the kind of person she would like to have as a friend. We continued to email back and forth as her daughter prepared for surgery and it wasn't until her daughter came through the surgery that she ever mentioned her name. When I first saw her email, my whole body got goosebumps! I knew the last name was the same but I never imagined that her daughter was one of those girls that had played such an important role in my life. I immediately wrote her back and shared with her that I knew her daughter and that I cared about her very much. I have since been in touch with Johnna and hope to stay in touch with her this time. I pray for her complete recovery and the chance to get to know her as an adult. I am continually amazed at the way in which God works in our lives - via facebook or craigslist or whatever!

No comments: